Major David C. Candelaria
Troop L Commander
Members of Troop L are proud to celebrate the New York State Police and the Division’s 100 years of service.
The Department of State Police was created on April 11, 1917, when Governor Charles S. Whitman signed the Wells-Mills Bill into law, establishing the State Police as a full-service police agency.
In June of 1917, the first Recruit Troopers started their training in Manlius, NY at Camp Newayo, named for Newell and Mayo. When training ended that fall, the original 232 Troopers were sent to their first assignment to patrol the New York State Fair, then set out on horseback to start policing the State's rural areas.
First photo: Members of Troop L from the Captree State Park with the Robert Moses Tower and Inlet Span Bridge in background.
Second photo: Original Camp Men assigned to Long Island, SP Hicksville, November 1917.