NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Major Todd O. Stratton
Troop C Commander
UPDATE 1/12/21: The driver of the vehicle, Steven R. Baker II, age 38 of Sidney has been charged with several felonies and misdemeanors.
- Reckless Endangerment in the first degree (Class "D" Felony)
- Criminal Mischief in the second degree (Class "D" Felony) for intentionally causing damage exceeding $1,500.
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the third degree (Class "D" Felony) after he was found to be in possession of a “Kung Fu Star” and has previously been convicted of a crime.
- Unlawful Fleeing a Police Officer in a Motor Vehicle (Class "A" Misdemeanor)
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the seventh degree (Class "A" Misdemeanor) after he was found in possession of suspected drugs.
Baker II was released from A.O Fox Hospital and arraigned virtually. He was remanded to the Delaware County Jail without bail.
The passenger has been released from the hospital and has not been charged at this time.
The investigation continues.
On January 10, 2021 at approximately 9:40 p.m., New York State Police assisted the Village of Sidney Police after a vehicle failed to comply for a traffic stop after entering Interstate 88 at exit 9 in the Village of Sidney. The vehicle continued to flee from police and exited the Interstate at exit 8 (Bainbridge) then traveled onto State Highway 206.
While on State Highway 206 near County Route 20, in the Town of Masonville the vehicle intentionally struck a New York State Police vehicle causing damage. The vehicle continued onto Parker Hollow Road where it left the roadway. Troopers and Village of Sidney officers exited their vehicles when the vehicle sped off again. The vehicle was located a short time later on its roof on Pine Hill Road. At that time, it was not being pursued by officers and it is unknown why it crashed.
The male driver was transported to A.O Fox Hospital by Sidney Ambulance with non-life threatening injuries. The female passenger was transported by ambulance to Wilson Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The investigation continues, charges are pending. More will be released when it is available.