On January 3, 2023, just after 5:30 PM, the State Police responded to a crash on the eastbound Southern State Parkway west of exit 17S in the town of Hempstead, Nassau County.
Preliminary investigation revealed, a 2020 Toyota Camry, driven by Louewanda Benjamin, 37 of Amityville, NY, was traveling eastbound on the Southern State Parkway when her vehicle struck the rear of a 2020 Chevrolet Equinox. The collision injured Benjamin’s 3-year-old son and the driver of the Equinox and both were transported to Mount Sinai South Nassau Hospital.
Benjamin’s 3-year-old son suffered a broken leg, and the driver of the Equinox suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
Benjamin was uninjured and found to be intoxicated. Benjamin was arrested and provided a breath sample of .24% B.A.C.
Benjamin was charged with the following:
- Vehicular Assault 1st Degree, with a B.A.C. of .18% or more, a D – Felony
- Vehicular Assault 1st Degree with Previous Conviction, a D – Felony
- Endangering Welfare of Child, an A – Misdemeanor
- Aggravated DWI, with Child and Previous Conviction in 10 Years, an E – Felony, also known as Leandra’s Law
- Aggravated DWI, Previous Conviction in 10 Years, an E – Felony
- Driving While Intoxicated, Previous Conviction in 10 Years, an E – Felony
Benjamin was held for arraignment at Nassau County First District Court.