NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Major Darrin S. Pitkin
Troop D Commander
On February 15, 2021, at 3:06 p.m., Troopers attempted to stop a vehicle on State Route 298 in the town of DeWitt for a traffic violation.
The operator, later identified as Anthony Roberts, refused to comply. A traffic pursuit ended when the vehicle stopped on Lincoln Avenue near Daisy Street in the city of Syracuse. Roberts was seen fleeing from the vehicle on foot with a handgun and running into the residence at 104 Daisy Street and refused to exit. A perimeter was quickly established with the assistance of the Syracuse Police Department. The other occupants of the residence exited without incident and indicated that the driver/suspect was still inside the residence. A passenger in the vehicle remained in the vehicle and was detained without incident.
The State Police Special Operations Response Team (S.O.R.T) and members from the Syracuse Police SWAT Team responded to the scene. Investigators attempted to contact Roberts, who barricaded himself inside the residence for several hours.
At 1:54 a.m., Roberts was taken into custody without further incident.
Anthony M. Roberts, age 38, from Syracuse, NY, was charged with the following:
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon 2nd degree (loaded firearm), class “C” felony
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd degree (large capacity ammunition feeding device), a class “D” felony.
- Criminal Possession of Stolen Property 4th degree (stolen handgun), a class “E” felony
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th degree, a class “A” misdemeanor
- Resisting Arrest, a class “A” misdemeanor
Roberts was transported to the Onondaga County Justice Center for centralized arraignment.
State Police were assisted by the Syracuse Police Department and the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office.