NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Major Jeffrey A. VanAuken
Troop C Commander
On June 26, 2022, Troopers were dispatched to check on a man who reported to 911 that he had been shot.
An investigation revealed that Billy Ray Ward, age 36 of Newfield, NY and Daniel L. Swansbrough Jr., age 40 of Newfield, NY engaged in an altercation on June 20th while outside a residence on Van Buskirk Road in the town of Newfield, during which Ward discharged an illegal shotgun in the direction of Swansbrough and another adult male. The investigation also determined that Ward unlawfully placed an app on Swansbrough’s phone in order to monitor Swansbrough’s phone calls.
During the course of the initial investigation, it was discovered that in May, Swansbrough struck another victim multiple times with a speaker, causing an injury. The investigation also determined that Swansbrough unlawfully possessed a .22 rifle, due to a previous felony conviction.
Both Billy Ray Ward and Swansbrough were arrested on June 26, 2022.
Billy Ray Ward was charged with:
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the second degree – class “C” felony
- Reckless Endangerment in the first degree – class “D” felony
- Eavesdropping – class “E” felony
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the fourth degree - misdemeanor
Daniel L. Swansbrough Jr. was charged with:
- Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the first degree - class “C” felony
- Assault in the second degree – class “D” felony
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the fourth degree – misdemeanor
Both men were transported to the Tompkins County Jail for arraignments.