28 December 2019
NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Major Philip T. Rougeux
Troop D Commander
State Police in Herkimer arrested Michael R. Drennen, age 33 from Utica, NY for the following charges:
- Criminal Possession of Stolen Property 3rd degree, class “D” felony
- Criminal Mischief 4th degree, class “A” misdemeanor
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th degree, class “A” misdemeanor
- Unlawful Fleeing a Police Officer 3rd degree, class “A” misdemeanor
- Obstructing Governmental Administration 2nd degree, class “A” misdemeanor
- Aggravated Unlicensed Operation 2nd degree, an unclassified misdemeanor
On December 27, 2019, at approximately 5 p.m., Troopers attempted to stop a gray Dodge pickup truck on North Main Street in the Village of Poland for speeding (51 mph in a 30 mph zone). The operator of the pickup truck refused to comply and fled from patrol. The vehicle continued traveling south on State Route 28 reaching a speed of 90 mph in a 55 mph zone. The pursuit continued into the Village of Newport, and through the towns of Newport and Schuyler. The vehicle then traveled west on State Route 5 in the town of Schuyler, and upon exiting the intersection of Newport Road and Dyke Road, the vehicle exited the roadway and struck an earth embankment causing damage to the front passenger wheel. The vehicle continued west on State Route 5 and entered the city of Utica, where it became disabled at the end of Lee Boulevard. The operator of the vehicle, later identified as Michael R. Drennen, exited the vehicle and fled on foot. Drennen was taken into custody by Troopers without incident after a brief foot pursuit.
The investigation revealed Drennen stole the pickup truck on December 26th from a Stewart’s Shop in the city of Rome.
Drennen was arraigned in the town of Russia Court and released on his own recognizance. He is scheduled to appear back in court on January 15, 2020, at 7 p.m.